Tuesday, April 15, 2008

PYL- In Progress

Hey everyone. Welcome to part two of my blogging for our polymer plate printing project. Try saying THAT five times fast!


Since my last blog, I've narrowed my concept down to two options.
I found some good reference pictures for each concept online, so I put those into illustrator and then started working on the text. I went through so many versions of the text for each option. I must have tried a dozen type faces for each. But in both cases, I eventually went back to one of the first typefaces I tried. 

Option 1- A satire of the word "well-made", by using an image of the Lean Tower of Pisa. 
I ended up choosing Helvetica. I initially only tried this typeface as a placeholder until I chose another one, but it ended up sticking. During class today, Ange suggested using a more "italian" typeface that corresponded better with the image of the Leaning Tower. I agreed, and tried and tried to find one that would work, but none of the typefaces I tried out seemed to work as well as the original Helvetica. Either the X-height was too short, or they were fussy, or they didn't line up right, or I could find some other reason not to use them. None of the typefaces could compare to the POP that I feel the helvetica has. They all fading away instead of having the impact I wanted. So I stuck with Helvetica.

Option 2- Using text as image by showing the words being crushed under an anvil. 
I originally didn't have this concept in my top two, but while google-image surfing I found a really sweet image of a really old anvil, and the concept went from there. I wanted to create the illusion of three dimensions, so I made the text look like a cube. After experimenting with lots of typefaces, I went with Bauhaus because it looked the most solid, and "well-made", and it is historically from the same time period as the anvil itself. Perfect! 

Take a look and let me know what you think please! Por favor! S'il vous plait!

3 comments:

Tessa said...

I really like the style you chose to portray the images in! The text/image composition is really interesting and dynamic. I think it's a good idea to keep the text on one plate and the image on another so you can experiment while printing.

Gina said...

Your prints look exactly like the digital version! And I saw you hand printing the image of the anvil the last day of class. That was a good idea to combine that image on the plate with just the text. Both prints turned out great!

Andy said...

Both designs look nice using that style and colors. Even though the type is different, they also work well together. Using such a light color for a silhouette image is interesting. I think the anvil design is very strong. Though some people may argue over whether or not the Leaning Tower is well-made (maybe that's a good thing), the box-shaped words under the anvil give a really clear message.